A Guide to the symphony / edited by Robert Layton.
A guide to every major symphonist from Haydn to the present day, by way of Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, Mahler, and Tippett. Contains an up-to-date list of over 500 recommended compact disc recordings.
Oxford, England ; New York :
Oxford University Press,
Table of Contents:
- The origins of the symphony
- The symphonies of Joseph Haydn / David Wyn Jones
- The symphonies of Mozart / H.C. Robbins Landon
- Beethoven / Richard Osborne
- Schubert / Brian Newbould
- The symphony in nineteenth-century Germany / Donald Ellman
- Bruckner / Philip Coad
- Mahler / Stephen Johnson
- The symphony in France / David Cox
- The Czech Symphony / Jan Smaczny
- Russia before the Revolution / David Brown
- The symphony in the Soviet Union (1917-91) / David Fanning
- The symphony in Scandinavia / Robert Layton
- Silbelius / Philip Coad
- Nielsen / David Fanning
- After Sibelius and Nielsen / Robert Layton
- After Mahler: the Central European symphony in the twentieth century / Stephen Johnson
- The American symphony / John Canarina
- The symphony in Britain / Robert Layton.