Recasting women : essays in Indian colonial history / edited by Kumkum Sangari, Sudesh Vaid.
New Brunswick, N.J. :
Rutgers University Press,
Table of Contents:
- Recasting women : an introduction / Kumkum Sangari and Sudesh Vaid
- Whatever happened to the Vedic dasi? : orientalism, nationalism and a script for the past / Uma Chakravarti
- Contentious traditions : the debate on Sati in colonial India / Lata Mani
- Marginalization of women's popular culture in nineteenth century Bengal / Sumanta Banerjee
- That magic time : women in the Telangana people's struggle / Vasantha Kannabiran and K. Lalitha
- Feminist consciousness in women's journals in Hindi : 1910-1920 / Vir Bharat Talwar
- The nationalist resolution of the women's question / Partha Chatterjee
- Tracing Savitri's pedigree : Victorian racism and the image of women in Indo-Anglian literature / Susie Tharu.
- Working women in colonial Bengal : modernization and marginalization / Nirmala Banerjee
- Customs in a peasant economy : women in colonial Haryana / Prem Chowdhry
- Rural women in Oudh 1917-1947 : Baba Ram Chandra and the women's question / Kapil Kumar.