Topics in mathematical modeling / K.K. Tung.
Princeton, N.J. :
Princeton University Press,
|Online Access:||Publisher description|
Table of contents only
Contributor biographical information
Table of Contents:
- Fibonacci numbers, the Golden Ratio, and the laws of nature?
- Scaling laws of life, the Internet, and social networks
- Modeling change one step at a time
- Differential equation models : carbon dating, age of the universe, HIV modeling
- Modeling in the physical sciences, Kepler, Newton, and calculus
- Nonlinear population models : an introduction to qualitative analysis using phase planes
- Discrete time logistic map, periodic and chaotic solutions
- Snowball earth and global warming
- Interations : predator-prey, spraying of pests, carnivores in Australia
- Marriage and divorce
- Chaos in deterministic continuous systems, Poincaré and Lorenz
- El Niño and the southern oscillation
- Age of the earth : Lord Kelvin's model
- Collapsing bridges : Broughton and Tacoma narrows
- Appendix A : Differential equations and their solutions
- Appendix B : MATLAB codes.