Critical musicology and the responsibility of response : selected essays / Lawrence Kramer.
Aldershot, Hampshire ; Burlington, VT :
|Series:||Ashgate contemporary thinkers on critical musicology
Table of Contents:
- Tropes and windows : an outline of musical hermeneutics
- Decadence and desire : the Wilhelm Meister songs of Wolf and Schubert
- Dangerous liaisons : the literary text in musical criticism
- Music criticism and the postmodernist turn : in contrary motion with Gary Tomlinson
- Charging the canons
- The strange case of Beethoven's Coriolan : romantic aesthetics, modern subjectivity, and the cult of Shakespeare
- The harem threshold : Turkish music and Greek love in Beethoven's Ode to joy
- Primitive encounters : Beethoven's Tempest sonata, musical meaning, and enlightenment anthropology
- Tolstoy's Beethoven, Beethoven's Tolstoy : the Kreutzer sonata
- Like falling leaves : the erotics of mourning in four Drum-taps settings
- Chopin at the funeral : episodes in the history of modern death
- Recognizing Schubert : musical subjectivity, cultural change, and Jane Campion's The portrait of a lady
- Haydn's chaos, Schenker's order; or, musical meaning and musical analysis : can they mix?
- Speaking melody, melodic speech
- Longindyingcall : of music, modernity, and the sirens
- Au-delà d'une musique informelle : nostalgia, obsolescence, and the avant-garde.