The Constitution before the judgment seat : the prehistory and ratification of the American Constitution, 1787-1791 / Jürgen Heideking ; edited by John P. Kaminski and Richard Leffler.
First translation by Jerry Neeb-Crippen made from a text with "substantial deletions" by the author. Richard Leffler and the author revised the first three chapters of the translation; then Leffler and Kaminski finished the editing. (p. ix)
University of Virginia Press,
|Uniform Title:||Verfassung vor dem Richterstuhl.|
Table of Contents:
- Ratification chronology, 1786-1791
- Introduction : the historical significance of the debate over the American Constitution
- Historical background
- Public discourses and private correspondence
- The debate over basic principles
- Party formation and convention elections
- State ratifying conventions
- Republican festive culture
- The creation of the Bill of Rights
- Conclusion : Constitution-making as a political and cultural process : America's debate over the Constitution and the French Revolution.