Landscape and gender in Italian opera : the Alpine virgin from Bellini to Puccini / Emanuele Senici.
"Emanuele Senici explores the connection between landscape and gender in Italian opera through the emblematic figure of the Alpine virgin. In the nineteenth century, operas portraying an emphatically virginal heroine, a woman defined by her virginity, were often set in the mountains, most frequ...
New York :
Cambridge University Press,
|Series:||Cambridge studies in opera.
|Online Access:||Contributor biographical information|
- Virgins, mountains, opera
- "At the foot of the Alps" : the landscape of La sonnambula
- Linda di Chamounix and the ideology of chastity
- The politics of genre in Luisa Miller
- Deflowering the Alps : from I promessi sposi to La Wally and Fedora
- La fanciulla del West : a new landscape for a new virgin.