Jane Austen and the fiction of her time / Mary Waldron.
This book presents Jane Austen as a radical innovator. It explores the nature of her confrontation with the popular novelists of her time, and demonstrates how her challenge to them transformed fiction. In thus identifying her literary motivation, this book offers a fresh and unifying critique of th...
Cambridge, UK ; New York :
Cambridge University Press,
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
- The juvenilia, the early unfinished novels and Northanger Abbey
- The non-heiresses: The Watsons and Pride and prejudice
- Sense and the single girl
- The frailties of Fanny
- Men of sense and silly wives: the confusions of Mr. Knightley
- Rationality and rebellion: Persuasion and the model girl
- Sanditon: conclusion.