How to Read the Bible : history, prophecy, literature-- why modern readers need to know the difference, and what it means for faith today / Steven L. McKenzie.
Those who believe in the literal truth of the Bible and those who fundamentally distrust it are at opposite ends of the belief spectrum. Steven McKenzie argues that both camps are operating under a basic misunderstanding of the nature of the texts collected in the Hebrew Bible and New Testament.
Oxford ; New York :
Oxford University Press,
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
Click for online access
- Introduction: Jonah and genre
- Not exactly as it happened : historiography in the Bible
- Forthtelling, nor foretelling : biblical prophecy
- Life's real questions : wisdom literature and the Bible
- Not the end of the world as we know it : wisdom literature in the Bible
- Issues in the churches : the letters of the New Testament.