Using Animal Models in Biomedical Research : a Primer for the Investigator / Pierce K.H. Chow, Robert T.H. Ng, Bryan E. Ogden.
Animal models play crucial roles in the continuum of experimental activities that make up biomedical research. Such in vivo modes are especially important in proof-of-principle experiments and in establishing the preclinical safety and efficacy data required for progressing to human clinical trials....
Hackensack, NJ :
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
- 1. Scientific considerations and choice of species. The rationale for the use of animal models in biomedical research / Pierce Chow. Experimental animal models in biomedical research / Robert Ng. Nonhuman primates as models in biomedical research / Jason Vilano and Bryan Ogden
- 2. Regulatory considerations in the use of animal models. Laws, regulations and guidelines for biomedical research in Singapore / Boon Theng Kuah. The functions of the institutional animal care and use committee / Pierce Chow. Responsibilities of principal investigators and research protocol evaluation / Hock Soo Ong. The 3r's, research variables and the use of alternatives / Hock Soo Ong. Use of statistics as determinant for number of animals used / Huihua Li. The advantages of accreditation with AAALAC / Bryan Ogden
- 3. Animal handling and surgical procedures. General handling, restraint, oral dosing/gavage and injections in laboratory animals / Bryan Ogden. Blood collection from laboratory animals / Jason Villano. Antibiotic coverage and therapy / Darvi Sergio. Animal preparation and transport / Robert Ng. Preparation and implementation of animal surgery / Robert Ng. Animal intubation / Robert Ng. Anaesthesia and maintenance of homeostasis / Robert Ng. animal euthanasia / Darvi Sergio. Rodent sentinel programme / Peik Khin Tan.
- 4. Basic animal investigative methods. Bioimaging in animals / David Ng [and others]. Histology sampling and techniques / In Chin Song. Animal tissue perfusion and preservation / Robert Ng. Animal cell culture / Peggy Yong and Kai Zhang. Application of microsurgical techniques in animal research / Bien Keem Tan [and others]
- 5. Animal welfare considerations. Species specific caging configuration and design / Cindy Phua. Postoperative care and pain management / Jason Villano. animal feeds and nutritional requirements / Peik Khin Tan
- 6. Safety management of an animal facility. Occupational health and safety programme / Angela Goh. New employee and external users orientation / Inria Kurniawan Then. Radiation safety awareness in animal research / S. Somanesan. Emergency crisis management / Irene Kee. Zoonoses and laboratory animal allergies / Jason Villano
- 7. Supporting facilities design. clinical skills laboratory / Robert Ng. Animal research supporting laboratories / Robert Ng. animal research and housing facilities / Robert Ng
- 8. The development of comprehensive animal facilities in Singapore. History of the Department of Experimental Surgery as a reflection of translational research development in Singapore / Robert Ng
- Append. 1. Accredited laboratories for import of experimental animals
- Append. 2. Radiation safety data
- Append. 3. Anaesthesia for laboratory animals
- Append. 4. Analgesics and therapeutics for laboratory animals
- Append. 5. Passively transmitted zoonotic organisms.