Recognition and alleviation of pain in laboratory animals / Committee on Recognition and Alleviation of Pain in Laboratory Animals, Institute for Laboratory Animal Research, Division on Earth and Life Studies.
The use of animals in research adheres to scientific and ethical principles that promote humane care and practice. Scientific advances in our understanding of animal physiology and behavior often require theories to be revised and standards of practice to be updated to improve laboratory animal welf...
Washington, D.C. :
National Academies Press,
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
- Introduction-- Pain in research animals: General principles and considerations
- Mechanisms of pain
- Recognition and assessment of pain
- Effective pain management
- Humane endpoints for animals in pain
- Appendixes: Models of pain
- U.S. regulations and guidelines regarding recognition and alleviation of pain in laboratory animals.