Border war : fighting over slavery before the Civil War / Stanley Harrold.
This manuscript examines violence in the border region stretching from New Jersey and Maryland in the East to Missouri and Kansas in the West in the antebellum period, from confrontations over kidnappings by slave catchers of fugitive slaves in the antislavery states to armed abolitionist activities...
Chapel Hill :
The University of North Carolina Press,
|Series:||Civil War America (Series)
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
- Introduction : perception of war
- Early clashes
- Fear and reaction in the border South
- Southern aggression in the lower North
- Interstate diplomacy
- Fighting against slavery in the lower North
- The struggle for the border South
- Fighting over the fugitive slave law
- Pressure on the border South increases
- From border war to Civil War.