Exam schools : inside America's most selective public high schools / Chester E. Finn, Jr., and Jessica A. Hockett.
What is the best education for exceptionally able and high-achieving youngsters? Can the United States strengthen its future intellectual leadership, economic vitality, and scientific prowess without sacrificing equal opportunity? There are no easy answers but, as Chester Finn and Jessica Hockett sh...
Princeton University Press,
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
- History and context
- Searching for needles in the high school haystack
- Exploring a new constellation
- Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, Aurora, IL
- School Without Walls, Washington, DC
- Central High School Magnet Career Academy, Louisville, KY
- Liberal Arts and Science Academy, Austin, TX
- Jones College Prep, Chicago, IL
- Benjamin Franklin High School, New Orleans, LA
- Townsend Harris High School, Queens, NY
- Pine View School for the Gifted, Osprey, FL
- Oxford Academy, Cypress, CA
- Bergen County Academies, Hackensack, NJ
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, Annandale, VA
- Similarities and differences
- Dilemmas and challenges
- Appendix I: Selection process and school list
- Appendix II: Survey questions.