Passage to promise land : voices of Chinese immigrant women to Canada / Vivienne Poy.
This book is the study of Chinese immigration to Canada from the end of the Second World War to the present day. Traces the evolution of immigration policy through the stories of Chinese immigrant women. It also shows how the Chinese community developed alongside changes in immigration regulations,...
McGill-Queen's University Press,
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Reuniting Families
- 3 The Formation of Chinese Canadian Identity
- 4 Picture Brides, Paper Sons, and Paper Daughters
- 5 Enter Those with Education and Language Skills
- 6 They Came for Higher Education
- 7 Multiculturalism and Chinese Canadian Identity
- 8 Racism and Business Immigration
- 9 Women in the New Chinese Canadian Communities
- 10 Conclusion
- Appendices. 1 Interviewees ; 2 The Points System ; 3 Changes in Name of the Department of Immigration ; 4 Legislation and Regulations Pertaining to the Chinese, 1867-1990.