The New Russia : a Handbook of Economic and Political Developments.
The rapid changes in Russia since the collapse of the Soviet Union are often bewildering, with many frequent, highly significant changes in the different sectors of the economy and the political system. There have been frequent changes of personnel in government and economic management and many chan...
Taylor and Francis,
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
- Cover; Half Title; Title Page; Copyright Page; Table of Contents; List of tables; Acknowledgements; INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW; Part I Economic Developments; THE TRANSITION TO THE MARKET: INTRODUCTION; 1 THE TRANSITION FROM COMMAND PLANNING TO THE MARKET; COMMAND PLANNING IN THE SOVIET ERA; FROM PLAN TO MARKET; 2 PRICES; PRICES IN THE SOVIET ERA; PRICE LIBERALIZATION IN RUSSIA; 3 FOREIGN TRADE; THE SOVIET ERA; FOREIGN TRADE IN RUSSIA BETWEEN JANUARY 1992 AND THE FINANCIAL CRISIS OF AUGUST 1998; 4 DIRECT FOREIGN INVESTMENT; THE SOVIET ERA; RUSSIA SINCE 1992.
- 5 the private non-agricultural sectorthe private non-agricultural sector in the soviet era; privatization in the non-agricultural sectors of the russian economy since 1992; 6 agriculture; the soviet era; agriculture in russia; 7 macroeconomic stabilization; the soviet financial system; macroeconomic stabilization before the financial crisis of august 1998; russia and the asian financial crisis; 8 foreign debt and aid before the august 1998 financial crisis; foreign debt; foreign aid; 9 economic performance, health and the environment; economic performance; health; the environment.
- Part II Political Developments10 THE DISSOLUTION OF THE SOVIET UNION; EVENTS PRIOR TO THE 19-21 AUGUST 1991 ABORTIVE COUP; THE 19-21 AUGUST 1991 ABORTIVE COUP; THE COMMONWEALTH OF INDEPENDENT STATES (CIS); ECONOMIC RELATIONS BETWEEN RUSSIA AND THE OTHER COUNTRIES OF THE FORMER SOVIET UNION (THE 'NEAR ABROAD'); 11 THE FEDERAL STATE AND THE CHECHEN CRISIS; THE FEDERAL STATE; THE PUTIN ERA; THE CHECHEN WARS; 12 A CHRONOLOGY OF POLITICAL DEVELOPMENTS, 1992-2000; A CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS PRIOR TO THE DISSOLUTION OF PARLIAMENT ON 21 SEPTEMBER 1993; THE DISSOLUTION OF PARLIAMENT ON 21 SEPTEMBER 1993.
- THE SEARCH FOR A NEW CONSTITUTIONTHE GENERAL ELECTION OF 12 DECEMBER 1993; DEVELOPMENTS BETWEEN THE DECEMBER 1993 GENERAL ELECTION AND THE DECEMBER 1995 GENERAL ELECTION; THE GENERAL ELECTION OF 17 DECEMBER 1995; The Reelection of Yeltsin as President on 3 July 1996; The General Election of 19 December 1999; The Resignation of Yeltsin on 31 December 1999 and the Meteoric Rise of Vladimir Putin from Relative Obscurity to President (elected 26 March 2000); the Putin Reforms; 13 MILITARY AND FOREIGN AFFAIRS, DISARMAMENT AGREEMENTS, PARTNERSHIP FOR PEACE, THE KOSOVO CRISIS AND NATO EXPANSION.
- THE ARMED FORCESDEFENCE DOCTRINE; INTERNATIONAL TREATIES AND AGREEMENTS AND NATO EXPANSION; CONCLUSION; Bibliography; Index.