The faces of honor : sex, shame, and violence in colonial Latin America / edited by Lyman L. Johnson and Sonya Lipsett-Rivera.
Honor was everywhere in Colonial Latin America, and to understand the many ways it had an impact on people's lives is to understand the organizing principles of a society.
University of New Mexico Press,
|Series:||Diálogos (Albuquerque, N.M.)
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
Click for online access
Table of Contents:
- Honor and honors in colonial Spanish America / Mark A. Burkholder
- Honor, sexuality, and the colonial church / Geoffrey Spurling
- The negotiation of honor / Ann Twinam
- An urgent need to conceal / Muriel Nazzari
- Dangerous words, provocative gestures, and violent acts / Lyman L. Johnson
- Honor among plebeians / Richard Boyer
- A slap in the face of honor / Sonya Lipsett-Rivera
- Honor among slaves / Sandra Lauderdale Graham.