Gardens and the picturesque : studies in the history of landscape architecture / John Dixon Hunt.
"John Dixon Hunt is widely considered one of the foremost of today's writers on the history and theory of gardens and landscape architecture. Gardens and the Picturesque collects 11 of Hunt's essays-- several of them never before published-- that deal with the ways in which men and wo...
Cambridge, Mass. :
|Online Access:||Click for online access|
- Castle Howard revisited
- Theaters, gardens, and garden theaters
- Emblem and expression in the eighteenth-century landscape garden
- Ut pictura poesis, ut pictura hortus, and the picturesque
- Sense and sensibility in the landscape designs of Humphry Repton
- Picturesque mirrors and the ruins of the past
- John Ruskin and the picturesque
- Ruskin, "Turnerian topography," and Genius loci
- French impressionist gardens and the ecological picturesque
- The picturesque legacy to modernist landscape architecture
- Postscript : gardens in Utopia : utopia in the garden.