Listening to jazz / Benjamin Bierman.
New York :
Oxford University Press,
Table of Contents:
- Introducing jazz. Jazz styles timeline
- Pre-jazz: time line 1865-1910. Precursors of jazz: 1870s-1890s ; New Orleans jazz: 1880s-1920
- Jazz goes to town: timeline 1910-1930. Chicago jazz: late 1917-1930 ; New York jazz: 1920s-1930s ; Kansas City jazz: 1920s-1940
- From swing to bop: timeline 1930-1950. The swing era ; Duke Ellington ; Swing-era vocalists ; Bebop and beyond: 1940s
- Building the mainstream: timeline 1950-1975. Jazz in the 1950s ; The 1960s ; Five views of the mainstream
- Into the present: timeline 1975-today. Many movements: jazz fusion, neo-traditionalism, mainstream, large ensembles, and the downtown sceme (1970s-1990s) ; Jazz today.